Monday, January 10, 2011

The Journey Begins

Dear Family and Friends,

Blogs are not my usual way of communicating, as most of you who are familiar with me know. Yet my life, “as usual,” flipped over on its head on December 14, 2010, when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. This was completely unexpected since there is no family history of breast cancer, and my mammogram in December 2009 showed no abnormalities. This has turned my and my family’s lives completely upside down.

As I prepare to begin treatments on January 10th, work at keeping up my strength, and do my best to stay and get well, I will also be learning how to establish a ‘new normal’ and continuing to be wife, mother, daughter and sister. I value my family and friends enormously. Yet, as much as I would like to be in touch with each one of you individually, I know that I will not be able to do this effectively if I am to learn to take care of myself and continue caring for my family.

Our Heavenly Father has blessed me with His assurance that He is in control, and has provided a loving Christian family to hold us up in this challenging ‘adventure.’ Thus, the purpose of this blog is to share the story of my journey, and to keep each of you informed. I would prefer to tell you all in person but that is beyond what I think I can do, so by reading it and keeping me and my family in your prayers, you will be supporting us enormously and helping us to conserve strength. This is also a place for you to share your greetings, thoughts and prayers for me and my family; I will look forward to reading your words often.

Words cannot express the gratitude we feel for all you have done and will continue to do. Thank you for keeping your arms lifted up on our behalf, just as was done for Moses himself so the Israelites would win the battle (Exodus 17:10-13). After that battle the Lord told Moses to “Write about this battle…so people will remember” (Ex. 17:14). This blog will be the record of our battle, which the Lord has already won.

“Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteous One will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard. Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.” (Isaiah 58:8-9)

We love you with the love of the Lord!
Donna, Ken, Kenna, Kendall, Kedrick, Kalyn

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Donna and family,
This is an answer to prayer, to stay in touch with you without drowning you all with phone calls. We will look forward to hearing from you and your family often. Thanks to all who made this blog happen. God Bless and God's Speed,
The Suit's

Sanchez Family said...

You and your family are in our prayers Donna. May you rcontinue to be steadfast in faith and fortitude on this journey. You are never alone. So many are praying for you! We pray peace and strength be yours as God works his glory in you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Donna and family,
This is a nice way to be able to hear how you are doing, Thank you!
Lovely pictures. You are in our thoughts and prayers many times during the day.
Marianne and family

Anonymous said...

Hey Donna, this is a great idea for all of us to keep tabs on you and your family, and it will help to be able to pray for very specific needs. We love you and will be holding you up with each dinner prayer (it's when we are all together :o))

A big hug and a kiss of freindship coming your way!
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Hello! Thank you so much for putting up this blog. I look forward to praying and cooking for you! Keep your smiles coming! Sending you lots of love, Iris, Noe and Niko

Rebekah said...

Donna,
I have you and your family on my heart and will be praying for strength and for calmness and peace to help with your anxiety.
Donna you have always been a source of strength to all around you and I now hope that that inner core of faith and resiliency that permeates you will be a fountain of resource during these hours of chemo that you will be going through.
I will be praying for you every Monday morning and also during the week, but especially on Monday as the reality of your weekly doctors visit takes place.
Love you bunches, and big hugs to you.
Becky Cahoon

Anonymous said...

Donna,

We just want to let you know that we're thinking about you. You are truly blessed to have such a wonderful family and support network of friends to help you through your journey. Stay strong!

The Mody Family
Devin, Farneez, Anya, and Kai

Anonymous said...

So sorry you earned rights to our exclusive club Donna. I became a member about 15 years ago. Sound like you and I might have a similar experience. I had a port and Taxol and A/C.

This Blog is a wonderful idea.

I know the Lord will make a way.
Beverly Lewis

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
We want you to know that you are constantly in our prayers and that we love you and your family very much. Your faith and trust in God is evident. You are so perceptive; God is faithful and an ever present help when we face trials of every kind.
Blessings and peace my dear sister.
Love in Him,
~Trudy and family

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,
We are praying for you and your family as you make your journey through this one step at a time. As you know, God will be by your side walking right along with you. Stay strong and know that you have a great family at Campbell that loves you.
Nancy, Steve, Nathan and Megan

Donna McKenzie was diagnosed with breast cancer on December 14, 2010. This is the story of her journey; a place for her to share her experiences, and for you to share your thoughts and prayers for Donna and her family.

Get updates via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers

Powered by Blogger.