Friday, February 4, 2011

What God Hath Promised

Growing up, I remember reading this poem, which hung in my parent’s bedroom. It was handwritten by my Grandmother Workley.

What God Hath Promised
By Annie Johnson Flint

God hath not promised skies always blue,
Flower-strewn pathways all our lives through;
God hath not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.
But God hath promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, undying love

During the days after my diagnosis the first line of this poem ran in my years.  It served to remind me that we will have tough times in this life but God is there with us every step of the way.
This week had been a week of mixed blessings. Chemo went well on Monday. With the help of my prayer warriors, there was only a slight headache on Wednesday. Thursday, however, I woke up to a pretty fierce headache which I could not shake all day. 
My children were wonderful to let me just sleep. Kalyn even read me a bit from The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe. One of the soccer moms dropped off a delicious Indian fusion meal, so I had a yummy way to end the day. Today, Friday, my dear Aunt Shirley came over and gave me a manicure. Now, I’m waiting for a friend to arrive so we can go out to lunch. 
It’s amazing the little blessings God sends us each day. We just have to keep our eyes open to see them. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, look that those beautiful, well-cared for hands! :) So glad you and family enjoyed the meal.
Love,
~Anshu

Betty McFarland said...

I absolutely love your hair!!!!! With your cute stylin' glasses the look is very trendy and edgy! You are often in my thoughts and prayers! I am trusting God to bring about total and complete healing with many lessons and blessings along the way. I am so sorry about the headaches. I hope to see you soon!
Love you,
Betty

Anonymous said...

Wow! My grandmother sent me the same poem in a letter.... Timeless words. Our family prays for you and your family every evening during "buddy prayers". I LOVE your hair!!!
Amy Bridges

Helen Bratko said...

Great poem. I can attest to the fact that the Lord can be found in suffering and yes, there are many blessings along the way, if you watch for them.

Donna McKenzie was diagnosed with breast cancer on December 14, 2010. This is the story of her journey; a place for her to share her experiences, and for you to share your thoughts and prayers for Donna and her family.

Get updates via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers

Powered by Blogger.